The Modernists, Oct 2020Go Back
The Modernists: Witnesses to the 20th Century
ON VIEW IN THE Lehr GALLERY October 10, 2020 – January 17, 2021
During the early to mid-20th century, artists witnessed, documented, and even participated in two devastating world wars. The aftermath of the collective trauma the world experienced changed the trajectory of creative culture forever. As a result, artists rejected the realism favored by their predecessors and experimented with new subjects, techniques, and media to portray the post-war world as they saw it. This half-century movement toward abstraction came to be known as Modernism.
The Modernists: Witnesses to the 20th Century, drawn from museum and private collections across the United States and curated by the Susquehanna Art Museum, features work by a variety of Modern artists. The exhibition illustrates the development of the Modernist aesthetic and how artists worldwide broke from long-standing artistic traditions.
Gustav Kurt Beck
Robert Fremont Conover
Abraham Peter Hankins
Leon N. Hicks
Victoria Ebbels Hudson Huntley
Peter L. Robinson, Jr.
Benton Murdoch Spruance
Artwork in this exhibition is on loan from Art Bridges, the Eric and Amy Huck Collection, Brandywine River Museum of Art, the Charles and Elizabeth Stone collection, The Trout Gallery at Dickinson College, Reading Public Museum, Samek Art Museum at Bucknell University, The David C. Driskell Center at the University of Maryland, and ACA Galleries, NYC.
Intern Spotlight: Degenerate Art – Hitler’s Revenge on Modernism, by Cole Wanner, Summer 2020 Exhibitions Intern
– Wednesday, December 9, 6:00 p.m. Music in the Lehr Gallery – Jazz Ensemble performance and discussion led by Harrisburg Symphony Orchestra Director of Education Mark Hunsberger – Limited space available, RSVP required here.
– Tuesday December 15, 6:00 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. Inspired by Art: A Virtual Creative Writing Workshop (via Zoom) Led by Erin Dorney and Taylor Barton of Fear No Lit. Open to all levels. – Register here.
– Tuesday, December 29, 3:00 p.m. Albert Bloch Documentary + Discussion led by the film’s director Timothy DePaepe and co-producer Dr. Kelly Chong – Limited space available, RSVP required here.
– Thursday October 8, 6:00 p.m. Member’s Preview Tour
– Friday October 9, 6:00 p.m. Member’s Preview Tour
– Saturday October 31, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Inspired by Art: A Creative Writing Workshop Led by Erin Dorney and Taylor Barton of Fear No Lit.
– Sunday November 15, 3:00 p.m. Art + History Discussion led by Tara Tappert, Ph.D. – The Dark Side of the Moon (Modern Art techniques as responses to war trauma) – View recorded event here. View the subsequent Q&A Session here.
Generous support for educational programs is provided by Art Bridges.
This exhibition is generously sponsored by UPMC.