Art in Balance: Motorcycles and Fine Art, June 2017Go Back
On View in the Main Gallery Wednesday June 7 – Sunday September 17, 2017
Art in Balance: Motorcycles and Fine Art juxtaposes modern and contemporary artworks with a special group of eight motorcycles. Visitors are invited to explore the connections that link two-dimensional works of art with three-dimensional machines. Their shared shapes, lines and colors are the visual foundations that we build upon. The dynamic balance and rhythm between the art and the motorcycles, which changes as you move through the space, is what sets these works in motion! Artwork featured in Art in Balance is on loan from the permanent collections of the Samek Art Museum and the Woodmere Art Museum.
The Samek Art Museum is a program of Bucknell University that creates meaningful encounters between students, artists, and the public in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. It presently holds a collection of 5,000 objects highlighting the art of our time.
Housed in a 19th-century mansion in the Chestnut Hill Historic District, the Woodmere Art Museum has been a fixture of the Pennsylvania art community since 1910. The Woodmere collection is dedicated to the impactful art and artists of Philadelphia.
Visit the vault in the historic bank building for the special pairing of a 1992 Ducati Super Sport with a 3D animation made specifically for Art in Balance by new media artists Christopher Kaczmarek and Jerzy Klebieko!
William H. Campbell
A special group of rare and historic motorcycles will be on display from regional collections. Models represented will include a 1946 Indian Chief Clubman, 1999 BSA Gold SR, 1977 Harley-Davidson XLCR Café Racer, 1984 Yamaha RD 350 Kenny Roberts Special, 1969 Ducati Mark III Desmo 350, 1962 Honda Benly CA95, 1992 Ducati Super Sport Café Racer, and a 1969 BMW Earles Fork R60.
Motorcycles are on loan from the collections of Rod Firestone, the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) Museum, Dave John Curci, John Horvatinovic, Koup’s Cycle Shop Inc., and Bob’s Indian Sales and Service.
Motorcycle photography for Art in Balance is provided courtesy of Waxman Photography.
- – “Artsy Rider” by Barbara Trainin Blank, The Burg, June, 2017.
- – Press Release: Art & Motorcycles Collide! – June 12, 2017
This exhibition is presented with the help of generous sponsors:
- ROD & LINDA FIRESTONE
- RON & KATHIE DRNEVICH
- HIGH STRENGTH MOTORS
- GREENWORKS DEVELOPMENT
– Saturday June 3, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. A Night at the Museum Annual Gala attendees will receive a sneak peek of the exhibition!
– Tuesday June 6, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. Members Preview Opening- RSVP here. Susquehanna Art Museum members are invited to celebrate the newest main gallery exhibition with an exclusive evening preview! Admission is free, but membership is required. Become a member today for access to exclusive events and discounts: www.SusquehannaArtMuseum.org/membership/
– Friday June 16, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission! RSVP here.
– Friday July 21, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission! RSVP here.
– Friday August 18, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission! RSVP here.
– Sunday September 10, Gallery Walk
– Friday September 15, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission!