Inspired, May 2019Go Back
On view in the Lobby Gallery and DeSoto Family Vault Friday, May 10 – Sunday, August 18, 2019
From Friday May 10 to Sunday August 18, 2019 Susquehanna Art Museum will present Inspired, a juried exhibition in the Lobby Gallery and DeSoto Family Vault.
June 28 – July 1, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the historic Stonewall uprising. The uprising, a series of violent demonstrations, was a spontaneous moment of courageous activism by members of the LGBTQ+ community against a police raid that took place at the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village. The Stonewall Riots served as a catalyst for the LGBTQ+ rights movement in the United States and around the world. To recognize and commemorate this historic moment, Susquehanna Art Museum is partnering with the LGBT Center of Central PA and Dickinson College Archives and Special Collections to open the LGBTQ+ history project collection to artists and creators. The collection documents the stories and history of LGBTQ+ life and activism in Central PA.
Susquehanna Art Museum’s 2019 juried exhibition provides an opportunity for artists to visit the collection at the Dickinson College Archives and Special Collections (or explore selections from the collection here: bit.ly/2NQsVDw and oral histories here: bit.ly/2Csco6Z). Artists are tasked with creating original works of art inspired by the items in the collection. Works selected for this exhibition should provide a contemporary reflection on a pivotal moment in American LGBTQ+ history. Submissions may consider the history of the LGBTQ+ community, the continued search for equity and inclusion both nationally and globally, social justice for marginalized groups, or other expressions of creativity inspired by the collection. These works may include, but are not limited to: ceramics, mixed media sculpture, painting, drawing, performance, video, the written word, and graphic design.
The collection, located in the Waidner-Spahr Library at Dickinson College, will be open to the public on Wednesday, January 16 through Friday, January 18, 2019 from 9am to 4pm and Saturday January 19, 2019 from 1pm to 4pm. During this time, a large amount of the collection will be on display in the Archives. Staff will be on hand to assist with pulling any other items by request, helping the artists photograph items, etc. Because of the time of year and the possibility of inclement weather, artists should check local media to see if Dickinson is closed on January 16-18. Because the college is not normally open on Saturday the 19th, there will be no media announcement about a closure. If it looks like inclement weather on that day, the artists should call the Archives at (717) 245-1399 and a message will be on the phone greeting indicating if there is a closure.
Inspired is generously sponsored by Ross Kanenson and Marcy Kanenson in memory of their Mother, Marilynn R. Kanenson.
- – Barry Loveland, Chair of the LGBT Center of Central PA History Project
- – Lauren Nye, Director of Exhibitions, Susquehanna Art Museum
- – Viewer’s Choice- $250, voting takes place at the exhibition
- – Thursday, April 4: Deadline for submissions. No late submissions will be reviewed.
- – April 29 – May 3: Selected work must be delivered to Susquehanna Art Museum during pre-arranged appointment times.
- -Submissions to this year’s juried exhibition are FREE to commemorate the unique partnership of Central Pennsylvania organizations.
- – Each artist may submit up to 3 pieces.
- – Submissions are open to all artists. Work must be original, and entries in all media will be considered.
- – Artists are responsible for all shipping/transport costs for artwork, should it be accepted
- – Submissions must be in digital format, sent to LNye@SusquehannaArtMuseum.org with the subject line Inspired.
- – Image file naming must be as follows: LastName,FirstName_TitleOfPiece.jpg (or other standard image file format). All images must be print quality, at least 300 DPI, no larger than 2MB.
- – Supporting information that must be included in the body of the submission email or an attached editable document:
- – Artist information (artist name, address, phone, email address), full list of submitted works (title, medium, date completed, dimensions, insurance value), and artist statement
- – First consideration will be given to works that cite the specific archival item/s that have informed the work of art
- – All work must be prepared for exhibition, ready to hang (2D work) or install (3D work). No exceptions.
- – By entering the jurying process, the artist agrees to have their work available for the duration of the exhibition and to deliver the original artwork during the agreed-upon dates. The artist grants the organizers permission to photograph works for publicity, educational, and reference purposes.
Questions about the submission process? Contact Exhibitions Director Lauren Nye at LNye@SusquehannaArtMuseum.org
– Friday May 17, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission!
– Friday June 21, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission!
– Friday July 19, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission!
– Friday August 16, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. Third in the Burg- Free admission!