Identity Spectrum, juried exhibition, May 2018Go Back
ON VIEW IN THE Lobby GALLERY and Vault Friday May 4 – SUNDAY August 5, 2018
From Friday May 4 through Sunday August 5, 2018 the Susquehanna Art Museum will present Identity Spectrum, a juried exhibition in the Lobby Gallery and Vault. As one of the fundamental aspects of personal identity, gender has been examined by artists throughout history. Society is experiencing the increased politicization of identity expression while contemporary boundaries and norms are constantly shifting. Works selected for this exhibition will provide unique perspectives on individual expression and the definition of gender, both visually and conceptually. These works may include, but are not limited to: ceramics, mixed media sculpture, painting, drawing, performance, video, and graphic design.
Download the full Call for Entries in PDF format here.
Dr. Christine Fillipone, Associate Professor of Art History in the Department of Art and Design at Millersville University, specializing in contemporary and 20th century art. She is also Coordinator of The Women’s and Gender Studies program at Millersville University. Recipient of the 2017 SECAC Award for Excellence in Scholarly Research and Publication, her book Science, Technology, and Utopias: Women Artists and Cold War America (Routledge Press, 2017) examines feminist aesthetic approaches to science and technology. Her research has been supported by a Mellon postdoctoral fellowship, an American Fellowship from the American Association of University Women (AAUW), and a Guggenheim Fellowship from the National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution. Dr. Filippone also has served as Executive Director of The Print Center in Philadelphia, an art gallery and store dedicated to contemporary printmaking and photography. She has also worked in curatorial departments at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Brooklyn Museum of Art, International Center of Photography in New York and the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University. Learn more about Dr. Filippone here.
- – Juror’s Choice– Best in Show, $400 prize
- – Viewer’s Choice– $250 prize
- – Wednesday, April 4: Deadline for submissions. No late submissions will be reviewed.
- – April 23 – 27: Selected work must be delivered during pre-arranged appointment times.
- – FREE for current Susquehanna Art Museum members- up to 3 pieces
- – Fee for non-members- $15 per artwork, up to 3 pieces.
- – Visit: SusquehannaArtMuseum.org/membership to become a member today!
- – The preferred method of payment is via PayPal here:
- – Non-refundable checks made out to Susquehanna Art Museum will also be accepted. Mail to Susquehanna Art Museum, c/o Lauren Nye, 1401 North 3rd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17102, with “Submission Fee” in the memo.
- – Submissions are open to all artists. Work must be original and completed in the last three years. Entries in all media are accepted. Artists are responsible for all shipping/transport costs for artwork.
- – Submissions of up to 3 pieces will be accepted in digital format only, sent to LNye@SusquehannaArtMuseum.org with the subject line “Identity Spectrum Entry.”
- – Image file naming must be as follows: LastName,FirstName_TitleOfPiece.jpg (or other standard image file format). All images must be print quality, at least 300 DPI, no larger than 2MBs
- – Supporting information that must be included in the body of the submission email or an attached editable document:
- – Artist information (artist name, address, phone, email address), Susquehanna Art Museum membership status, full list of submitted works (title, medium, date completed, dimensions, insurance value), and artist statement
- – All work must be prepared for exhibition, ready to hang (2D work) or install (3D work). No exceptions.
- – By entering the jurying process, the artist agrees to have his/her work available for the duration of the exhibition and to deliver the original artwork during the agreed-upon dates. The artist grants the organizers permission to photograph works for publicity, educational, and reference purposes.
Questions about the submission process? Contact Exhibitions Director Lauren Nye at LNye@SusquehannaArtMuseum.org